|Title||Shaker Village, Mt. Lebanon|
|Place||Center and Second Families, Mount Lebanon, NY|
|Object Name||Photograph, Cabinet|
This photograph was taken near the road in front of the Center Family Dwelling looking south down the New Lebanon Road toward the Second Family buildings. A wagon being driven south on the road has several Shaker Sisters or young girls as well as two young boys riding in it. Shaker Brothers are posed standing in a line holding tools -- a rake, a scythe, and a wheelbarrow. Two young boys are also with them. Of special interest in the far distance the buildings of the West Farm are visible at a sharp turn in the road connecting the South Family to the Upper Caanan Family.
The most prominent building in the photograph stands to the west of the road and is identified by Clough as the Printing House -- probably where printing was done for the Botanical business conducted at the Center Family.
The back of the card is titled, "Street View fron of Center Family Dwelling Looking South-west -- Printing house--" in Henry Clough's handwriting. The card is also stamped in blue ink, "Henry Clough, Mr. Lebanon, N. Y."
In Clough's hand the card is also identified as "No 18".
Clough, Henry Terry (1862- )
|Photographer||James Irving, Troy, NY|
The photograph was presented to the Shaker Museum|Mount Lebanon by Mrs. Julia Clough in August, 1950. Julia Clough was the former Julia Matilda (Mintie) Dalton, who joined the Church Family at Mount Lebanon on July 11, 1876. She married Henry Terry Clough, also a Shaker.
The photograph once belonged to Henry Clough, an amateur photographer himself, and bears his hand-written monogram on the back of the card.
|Number of images||1.0|