|Title||Shaker Village, Mt. Lebanon|
|Place||North Family, Mount Lebanon, NY|
|Object Name||Photograph, Cabinet|
|Description||View probably taken from the entrance to the Brick Brethren's Workshop (1829). Of particular interest is a martin house (bird house) at the top of a large pole just behind the picket fence on the right side of the photograph, one of the hydrants installed in 1875 near of the bend in the picket fence on the right hand side of the photograph, the windows in the Second (Lower) Dwelling (1835) are inconsistent in the number of lights in the sash -- suggesting that the photograph was made at a time that the North Family was replacing twelve-over-twelve sash with two-over-two sash. There are two Brothers standing at the far end of the stone walk and several Sisters standing near the west entrance to the Dwelling. On the back of the card, in Henry Terry Clough's hand writing is the title, "Infirmary and Dwelling of North Family looking North-east." The card also has Clough's blue stamped mark of ownership on the back. The card is identified in Clough's hand as "No. 2."|
Clough, Henry Terry (1862- )
|Photographer||James Irving, Troy, NY|
The photograph was presented to the Shaker Museum|Mount Lebanon by Mrs. Julia Clough in August, 1950. Julia Clough was the former Julia Matilda (Mintie) Dalton, who joined the Church Family at Mount Lebanon on July 11, 1876. She married Henry Terry Clough, also a Shaker.
The photograph once belonged to Henry Clough, an amateur photographer himself, and bears his hand-written monogram on the back of the card.
|Number of images||2|