The photograph was taken from the newly planted sugar-bush northeast of the Church Family at Mount Lebanon, overlooking primarily that family's buildings. In addition to the Meetinghouse (1824), the Dwelling House (1787), the Office ( ), and Brethren's Workshop (1827), there are glimpses of the Church Family Cow Barns (1843, 1864), the Schoolhouse (1839), the Center Family Barn (1853) and Herb House ( ). The maple trees for the sugar-bush were probably set out in 1862 as described in the North Family "Book of Records" in the New York Public Library's Shaker manuscript collection (mss. no. 20): [12 February 1862] "Cut down the Side Hill Orchard, and set out 664 Maple trees, and 100 Pear trees..."