|Title||[Street View, North Family, Mount Lebanon, NY]|
|Place||Church Family, Mount Lebanon, NY|
|Object Name||Photograph, Cabinet|
|Description||View of what was called "The Springs Road" (now Darrow Road) showing the North Family, Mount Lebanon Sisters' Workshop (1852) on the right with the North Family's Upper or First Dwelling (1818, enlarged 1843, 1863) further on. The buildling on the left was a Fruit House (1866) built after the plan of the Nyce Patent Fruit House (US Letters Patent 21977, November 2, 1858). It contained an ice house on the upper level with a "sealed" -- lined with tin sheets with soldered joints -- storeroom below for fruit. Nyce's theory was that in keeping oxygen exchange to a minimum and using a calcium chloride paste to absorbe moisture, fruit would keep longer.|
|Photographer||James E. West|
The photograph was presented to the Shaker Museum|Mount Lebanon by Mrs. Julia Clough in August, 1950. Julia Clough was the former Julia Matilda (Mintie) Dalton, who joined the Church Family at Mount Lebanon on July 11, 1876. She married Henry Terry Clough, also a Shaker.
The photograph once belonged to Henry Clough, an amateur photographer himself, and bears his hand-written monogram on the back of the card.
|Number of images||2.0|