|Title||Dolly Saxton [i.e., Sexton], 106 Years Old May 6th, 1882.|
|Place||Mount Lebanon, New York|
|Description||This photograph most certainly features Sister Dolly Sexton (1776-1884). Sister Dolly was born on May 6, 1771, in Stephentown, New York. She appears to have first become associated with the Shakers in 1781 several years before the community at Mount Lebanon was officially gathered. She lived at the East or Hill Family until that family was dissolved in 1872. On March 30, 1872 she moved to the Church Family where she lived until she died May 1, 1884, five days short of her 108th birthday. The other adult Sister in the photograph is Sister Eleanor Potter (1812-1895). Sister Eleanor was born either in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, or Bath, New York. She came to live with the Shakers in 1817 at the age of 5 and lived her whole life in the Church Family where she served as Office Deaconess [Trustee], nurse, and the caretaker of the girls. She was an inspired artist during the Period of Mother's Work. [N.B.: For more information on her artwork see: Daniel W. Patterson's book, Gift Drawing and Gift Song (1983) pp. 73-76, and Jane F. Crosthwaithe's book, The Shaker Spiritual Notices of Eleanor Potter (2013). The young girl one the far right is Julia Matilda (Mintie or Minta) Dalton (1872-????). She was born in Brooklyn, New York and came to the Shakers on July 11, 1876. After Sister Mintie reached adulthood, she left for "an extended visit with relatives" and while gone married an ex-Shaker, Henry Terry Clough. The Cloughs returned to live with the Shakers has hired help, in February 1909. The other two girls are not yet identified. The card is from McDonnald & Sterry's Stereoscopic Scenery Series, Saratoga Springs, and New Lebanon Shakers.|
Dolly Sexton (1776-1884)
Eleanor Potter (1812-1895)
Julia Matilda (Mintie or Minta) Dalton (1872- )
This stereograph was presented to the Shaker Museum|Mount Lebanon by Mrs. Julia Clough in August, 1950. Julia Clough was the former Julia Matlida (Mintie or Minta) Dalton, who joined the Church Family at Mount Lebanon on July 11, 1876. She left the Shakers and married former Shaker Henry Terry Clough.
The stereograph once belonged to Henry Clough and has his name written on the back of the card.
|Number of images||2.0|